UNDP and the UN
The UN Country Team in Serbia operates under 5-year strategic frameworks called UNDAF (United Nations Development Assistance Framework) signed with the Government of Serbia. The last UNDAF that covered the period 2011-2015 included three main areas of activities: Good Governance, Sustainable Development and Social Inclusion, Regional Stability and Cooperation. The Assistance delivered by UNCT from 2011 to 2015 was over US$230 million.
In June 2017, the First Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic and UN RC Karla Hershey signed the new Development Partnership Framework(DPF) between the Government of the Republic of Serbia and UNCT for the period 2016 to 2020. The new strategy is fully aligned with the Government national priorities, EU accession agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals Agenda.
With its five pillars and nine outcomes to be achieved by 2020, Development Partnership Framework is a road map for strategic cooperation for the further promotion of good governance and the rule of law, development of social and human resources, economic development, growth and employment, environmental protection, fight against climate change and building resilient communities, and integrating culture into the overall process of sustainable development.
The estimated value of the new UNDAF 2016-2020 for Serbia is US$ 170 million without taking into account extraordinary resources mobilized for emergencies such as the ongoing refugee/migrants crisis. During the first year of the implementation of the DPF 2016-2020, the UNCT delivered US$ 63 million worth assistance of which US$ 47 million for regular development activities and US$ 16 million of refugee/migrants related assistance. Apart from its regular development work the UNCT supports the people and the government of Serbia in extraordinary circumstances such as natural disasters and humanitarian crisis.
Delivering as one / UN Coordination
According with the ongoing global reform of the UN development system UNCT Serbia is streamlining its operating procedures in line with the Delivering Together for Development principles.
Delivering as one is the set of procedures that provide guidance to all countries where UN has development activities as to how to work together and ensure greater coherence, coordination in order to increase efficiency of delivering joint results for development.
UNCT Serbia strives towards greater coherence and effectiveness by applying the following elements:
- One Leader – through UN Resident Coordinator
- One Programme – through Development Partnership Framework
- Common Premises – UN House in Serbia operational since 2015
- Operating as One – through Joint Business Operating Strategy
- Communicating as One – through a number of joint public events
The Development Partnership Framework 2016-2020 is implemented jointly with the partners of the Government of Serbia and is ensured through the Joint National Steering Committee (chaired by the UN RC, Serbian EU Integration Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
In 2015 Common Premises were made available by the Government of Serbia to the UNCT in Serbia on rent free basis for a period of 10 years, allowing for a creation of the UN HOUSE in Serbia. This major achievement process further advanced the One UN approach and further strengthened coherence amongst the UNCT members.
UN agencies in the country
The UN Country Team (UNCT), coordinated bz the UN Resident Coordinator is comprised of 19 UN Agencies, Funds and Programs (of whom six with full country presence, five with country project based offices and eight operating without country presence. There are 568 UN staff members, 57 international and 511 national staff members.
UN Agencies, Funds and Programs with full country presence:
- UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- UNHCR - United Nations High Commisioner for Refugees
- UNICEF - United Nations Children's Fund
- WHO - World Health Organization
- IOM - International Organization for Migration
- UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
UN Agencies, Funds and Programs with in-country project based offices:
- UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
- UN Women - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- ILO - International Labour Organization
- UNODC - United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
UN Agencies, Funds and Programs operating without country presence:
- UN-HABITAT - United Nations Human Settlements Programme
- UNHCHR - United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- UNWTO - The World Tourism Organization
The UNCT works closely with the UN Department for Safety and Security, one specialized UN office (UN Office in Belgrade) and four International Financial Institutions (WB, IMF, IFC and EBRD).