About the Project:
Combined biomass from forestry, agriculture and livestock residues provides viable options for co-generation projects, delivering both electricity and heat, with a good geographic spread across Serbia, focusing on agriculture and livestock residues in the Northern and Central Serbia, and shifting to forestry biomass abundance in the South.
The objective of the Biomass Project is to increase the share of energy from renewable sources in the energy mix of Serbia, namely the share of biomass in power generation.
Working in close partnership with the Serbian Ministry of Mining and Energy, as its lead partner, and with the Ministry of Agriculture and Environmental Protection, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Country Office in Serbia is implementing a 4-year project “Reducing Barriers to Accelerate Development of Biomass Markets in Serbia” to support a variety of actors in coordinated efforts to turn biomass from an attractive opportunity into reliable energy source.
The Project started in 2014. With US$ 3.1 million from the GEF and UNDP, the Biomass Project will have a total budget of US$ 30 million. Co-financing will be provided by Serbian institutions and private investors.
The Project will empower key stakeholders to ensure a vibrant and resilient biomass market in Serbia by:
- Improving institutional and regulatory frameworks;
- Enhancing the capacity of all relevant stakeholders to develop, finance, construct and operate bankable biomass energy projects;
- Developing instruments for ensuring financial sustainability of investments in biomass fired plants, such as model contracts for long term biomass supply along with elaborated technical biomass catalogues;
- Implementing investment support mechanisms, such as grant schemes to support construction of selected combined heat and power plants (CHP) and other biomass plants;
- Supporting technical preparation of additional projects in terms of elaboration of feasibility studies and technical documents;
- Implementing complementary activities like number of trainings for municipalities, investors and banks, as well as capacity building and planning activities at the national and local level;
- Developing biomass e-trading platform
For more information please visit: http://biomasa.undp.org.rs